Great Lakes of Alibaug
Discover the lesser-known side of Alibaug – it’s fascinating lakes! Be spellbound by the sight of lovely migrant birds in their natural habitat. Soak in the calm and peace. Indulge in delicious, home-made Konkani style breakfast and lunch.
We provide the cycles, or you can even bring your own.
Trip Starts: Gateway of India, Mumbai (8 am)
Trip Ends: Gateway of India. Mumbai (choice between 4 pm and 7 pm)
Cycle Ride Duration: 2-3 hours with many breaks in between!
Dates: Check below
Batch size: 2-6 persons per batch (Small group size gives you the freedom to explore at your own pace and desire. If you have a larger group, we can accommodate that, let us know.)
Grade: Easy (approx 7 km on flat terrain – average fitness level is sufficient)
Suitable for Ages: 15-55 yrs
(If you have participants outside this age range or non-cycling members, please consider opting for the Fun Weekend Ride)
☑ Comfortable, well maintained MTB cycles (if rented from us)
☑ Well planned, scenic route (along a beach, and two lovely lakes)
☑ Delicious home cooked breakfast and lunch consisting of local cuisine
☑ Guide to assist you with the route and give information about the places
Activity Level Leisurely
Your ride begins from Mandwa jetty. We will provide you with comfortable MTB cycles at Mandwa jetty itself. You will then ride along scenic roads, passing by a beach and through a forested path and arrive at the sleepy little village of Sasawane.
At Sasawane, a typical Konkani breakfast has been arranged for you at a small family-run eatery which serves delicious home-cooked food.
Take time to explore the many attractions at the beautiful village of Sasawane. Among these are the lovely Sasawane beach, the Shiv Shankar temple on the banks of a marvellous lake, and the fascinating Karmarkar Museum of sculpture.
The Karmarkar Museum is the ancestral home of Shri Vinayak Pandurang Karmarkar, a famous sculptor during the pre-Independence era, and houses some of his sculptures. The building itself boasts of a marvellous architecture and a wonderful well, which still uses the age-old Rahat system of drawing water. Do visit this musuem to appreciate the life and works of a talented artist. (Please note: Museum ticket – Rs 10 per person. This is a private property, and the daughter-in-law of Shri Karmarkar resides here. Before exploring the grounds or using the washroom, make sure to ask for permission from the caretaker.)
From Sasawane, you will ride along paddy fields, and reach a picturesque lake, and an old temple. Spend some time here, watch the ducks sail in the water. Soak in the tranquility.
A vehicle will pick you and the cycles from close to this lake, and take you to Cafe Elba, where a sumptuous lunch has been arranged for you. Cafe Elba has clean showering facilities in case you feel like a shower and change of clothes.
After a sumptuous lunch at Cafe Elba, you can take rest. A vehicle will then take you back to Mandwa jetty in time for your return ferry to Mumbai.
Our aim is to let you bask in the thrill of discovery, while taking care of all the planning, safety and logistics for you. We provide the support for you. We have planned scenic routes, marked out the interesting points, lakes, beaches to visit, refreshment spots, availability of clean washrooms, etc., and made arrangements for a delicious breakfast and lunch.
Things to carry
- Your cycling helmet if you have one or a cap/hat to protect yourself from the sun
- Wear comfortable clothes, suitable for cycling. Remember, it can get hot while cycling.
- Carry a change of clothes to jump into after you are done with cycling
- Atleast 1 litre of water. All the cycles have a basket to place your bottles.
- Pack all this in a small backpack
- Comfortable MTB cycles (let us know your height, so we can find one suitable for you)
- Knowledgeable tour guide
- Home cooked vegetarian Konkani breakfast/snacks
- Konkani cuisine lunch at Cafe Elba, consisting of vegetarian or chicken thali. Fish thali available at Rs 100 extra.
- Shower facilities/changing room (if required)
- Ferry tickets from Gateway of India to Mandwa
- Any food other than breakfast/lunch at the designated places, packaged snacks, beverages, bottled water, etc
- Personal expenses such as museum ticket, tips, etc.
- Support vehicle in case of accidents, evacuation, etc will be provided. However the charges for the same is not included in the package, and will have to be bourne by you
- Anything not included in “inclusions” above
For cancellations earlier than 48 hours before start of your trip, 25% of the total amount will be deducted, and the balance will be refunded.
For cancellations till the start of the trip, 50% of the total amount will be deducted, and the balance will be refunded.
For cancellations later than the start time of your trip, 100% of the total amount will be forfeited.