Fun Weekend Cycling at Alibaug
Take a holiday in the countryside cycling with your family! Experience the beautiful Alibaug region riding leisurely among paddy fields, coconut groves, along lakes, and beaches. Delight in an authentic Konkani lunch at an organic farm. Enjoy barbeque at night.
We provide the cycles. You can also bring your own if you prefer.
For non-cycling members of your group, we have lovely walking trails too!
Starts at: Gateway of India, Mumbai (8 am on Saturday)
Ends at: Gateway of India, Mumbai (choice between 12 pm or 5pm on Sunday)
Group size: 2-8
Grade: Easy (Short trails on flat terrain – upto 6-7 km)
Fitness level required: You should be able to walk about 1 km.
Suitable for Ages: 7-55 yrs
(If you have children below 7, senior citizens or non-cycling members in your group, please let us know. We provide a support vehicle so that all participants can enjoy)
☑ Comfortable, well maintained MTB cycles
☑ Well planned, scenic routes along beaches, lakes and paddy fields
☑ Delicious home cooked breakfasts and meals consisting of Konkani cuisine
☑ Guide to lead the way and en-route support
☑ Clean toilet facilities along the way
☑ Accommodation in AC cottages at Cafe Elba, Alibag
Activity Level Leisurely
Enjoy cycling in the countryside with your family!
We have picked routes that are safe, easy and fun for adults and children (7 yrs and above) alike. Whether you are a casual cyclist, or getting on a bike after many years, you will enjoy riding through the beautiful country lanes of Alibaug.
We provide the necessary support for you. We provide comfortable, well maintained MTB bikes. We have handpicked safe and scenic routes, marked out the interesting points, lakes, beaches to visit, refreshment spots, washrooms, etc., and made arrangements for delicious meals and accommodation. We also provide a support vehicle where required.
Outline of the activities:
Trip starts at Gateway of India (Mumbai) at 8.00 am. Board the ferry and reach Mandwa Jetty.
At Mandwa Jetty, our guide will meet you and cycles will be provided. Your luggage will be picked up by a support-vehicle, and taken to Cafe Elba, where you will be staying for the night.
Ride leisurely from Mandwa to the picturesque village of Sasawane (approx 4 km), taking rural lanes, exploring the countryside. Breakfast is arranged for you at a rural home-based eatery here. After breakfast, you do visit the Karmarkar Museum of sculpture , a gem of Alibaug history.
You then proceed for another couple of kilometers to a calm lake, lined with huge raintrees. Ride around this lake, or lounge about peacefully, watching the ducks in the idyllic surroundings.
An authentic Konkani lunch (from the Pachkalshi community) is arranged for you at Paisley Experience, very close to this lake.
After lunch, a vehicle will take you (and the cycles) to Cafe Elba, where accommodation has been reserved for you.
In the evening, you can ride out to the beach (approx 4km away from Cafe Elba) for the sunset. A support vehicle brings you back from the beach as it is too dark to ride after sunset. Further, if you have children with you or any of your group prefers to not ride to the beach, they can travel in the vehicle.
Barbeque and night stay in AC cottage at Cafe Elba.
The next day can be a relaxed morning. Have a delicious Konkani breakfast at Cafe Elba. If you wish, however, you can take a bicycle ride to the famous Kihim beach (round trip 10 km), passing by an old Jewish cemetery on the way.
After you checkout from Cafe Elba, a vehicle will take you back to Mandwa jetty for your return ferry back to Mumbai.
Things to carry:
- One litre of water (no glass bottles please!). All the cycles have a basket and a bottle holder each. Water can be refilled at places on the route.
- Energy bar or some fruits if you feel hungry during the ferry ride before reaching Mandwa jetty.
- Your personal items, clothes for overnight stay, personal medicines if any, etc in a bag/suitcase. This bag will be taken to Cafe Elba in a vehicle.
- Comfortable MTB cycles (let us know your height, so we can find one suitable for you)
- Support vehicle and internal transfers between Mandwa jetty and Cafe Elba
- Guide for en-route support
- 1st day’s vegetarian lunch at Paisley Experience and barbeque (vegetarian) at night at Cafe Elba
- 1st day’s breakfast/snacks at Charusheela Bhojanalay, Sasawane
- 2nd day’s breakfast at Cafe Elba.
- A/C cottage accommodation at Cafe Elba on twin/triple sharing basis. Upto 3 persons can be accommodated in one cottage. However, you can book an additional room, if you desire. Please choose that during checkout.
- Ferry tickets from Gateway of India to Mandwa. If you wish to come by Ro-Ro ferry instead, please select that during checkout
- Any packaged snacks, beverages, bottled water, food other than breakfast/lunch mentioned in inclusions
- Personal expenses such as museum ticket, tips, etc.
- Anything not included in “inclusions” above
Quiet and peaceful, Cafe Elba is conveniently located on the Mandwa-Alibag road about 13 km from Mandwa Jetty. It boasts of AC cottages and exudes friendly vibes making you feel completely at home!
The cottages are clean, spacious and well appointed. Three cottages have a capacity of 2 persons, while two cottages styled as Gypsy Tents can accommodate upto 4 adults. All cottages and Gypsy Tents are air-conditioned and have attached toilet/bathroom.
Cafe Elba maintains high standards of food, comfort and hygene, and is highly rated on Google by guests who have stayed here.
For cancellations earlier than 48 hours before start of your trip, 25% of the total amount will be deducted, and the balance will be refunded.
For cancellations till the start of the trip, 50% of the total amount will be deducted, and the balance will be refunded.
For cancellations later than the start time of your trip, 100% of the total amount will be forfeited.
The trails are typically less than 10 km. Sometimes just 3-4 km. They are along country roads, on flat terrain. Usually they are empty and there is hardly any traffic on the roads.
Children above 7 yrs who can ride their own bike can easily ride on the trails. At any point they feel tired, we have a support vehicle available which can pick them up.
For children in the 5-7 age group, we have lovely short trails upto 1 km in length. Most of the time there is tree cover, so children enjoy riding on these trails. However, it is required that the children should be able to ride a bicycle without supporting side wheels on their own.